Sunday, November 07, 2010

Steven Den Beste Offers a Challenge

Steven Den Beste offers, via his blog, a challenge to identify some of the guns of Asobi ni Iku Yo.

OK, here's my guesses (click here to see his post):

1) In the guitar case:

-Beretta 93R 9mm w/ folding stock and extended magazines (Burst Fire)
-Dragunov SVD sniper rifle with folding stock and PSO-1 Optic
-Browning High Power 9mm

Note: I'm assuming the Beretta is not a 92FS converted to fire full auto. The Raffica version is a much more practical weapon.

2) The small revolver is a:

-Smith and Wesson Model 60 J-Frame .38 (5 shot)

Note: I don't think it's a 637. No locking mechanism, and the butt is too long. The 637 is an Airweight also. I think it's a Chiefs Special (Model 60). My wife carries one of these as her CCP whenever she uses her small purse.

3) The weird looking revolver is a:

-Rhino 20DS .357 Magnum made by Chiappa.

Note: I'm old fashioned, so I think the Rhino is only a slightly more stupid gun than the Judge. Rather than a Rhino, a nice solid 20 year old S&W Model 19 would be my choice, but certainly doesn't have the same sort of 'screen presence'.

4) The Automatic that Aoi identifies as the fictional Colt 1916 is actually a:

-Russion TT-33 (Tokarev) pistol in 7.62x25mm

Note: It is not an FN 1903 or a Colt 1908 due to the lack of a slide release button. Also, the way the gun is drawn doesn't match a TT either, but it's definitely that type of design. There seems to be some favor for Russian equipment here (hence the Dragonov). There is an annoying artistic license some Japanese animators use when drawing firearms, perhaps when the design is not well researched, or when they only have an airsoft version to use as a visual reference.

So, how did I do?

No comments: